Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Pinteresting Finds: Healthy Portion Control Chart


Overeating is extremely easy when foods are served or bought in large quantities. How often do you actually eat just ONE serving of almonds? If your like me, I end up eating 2-3 servings of nuts before I realize I should stop. So 500 calories later, I just realized HEY that wasn't as healthy as you thought! What about peanut butter? How often do you only eat just ONE serving of peanut butter? It's so easy to get carried away and spread 2 servings of peanut butter instead of one. Another scenario is when I'm out to eat, it's so easy to forget that my steak is larger than a recommended portion. Three to four ounces of steak goes quick when your hungry and its sitting in front of you on your plate.

So what's the answer to better and healthier food portion control? Measure, measure, measure. The best thing you can do is to predetermine your serving size before you take your first bite of anything - what is one serving? If your eating almonds, measure a handful and put the jar away before you take a bite. If your sitting in a restaurant and your chicken arrives, cut 3 ounces of chicken and save the rest for a to-go box. Portion control is all about taking control.

Today, I was browsing Pinterest (My FAVORITE site by far!) and came across this awesome portion control chart by Prevention! This chart would be great in your kitchen for an easy reminder to use portion control. Prevention did a great study which you can find here! See my pin here to add it to your Pinterest boards!

No comments:

Post a Comment